Did you notice windows 10 running slow and became unstable at startup? And while checking on the task manager you may found that a svchost.exe process, which is utilized by a service called “wuauserv“, consumes a lot of CPU resources. Let’s understand what is wuauserv process in the Windows operating system? And how to fix wuauserv high CPU usage or 100% disk or Memory usage problems in Windows 10/8/7.
Post Contents :-
What is wuauserv?
Wuauserv is a Windows Update Service that enables the detection, download, and installation of updates for Windows and other programs. In simple words, this service is responsible for check for, download, and install Windows updates on your system. But sometimes due to any reason if this service gets stuck system may start misbehaving especially high CPU usage.
wuauserv service high CPU usage
- Start with basic perform a full system scan with the latest updated antivirus application. To make sure any virus/malware infections not causing 100% CPU, Disk usage issues.
- Run system file checker utility And DISM command to make sure any corrupted system files, Missing system files not causing the issue.
- Open services console using services.msc and restart the windows update service, check this helps.
Run window update troubleshooter
Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with windows update problems. As wuauserv is a window update-related service I would suggest you run this troubleshooter to check it helps to reduce the system resource usage.
To run the windows update troubleshooter,
- Click start menu search type troubleshoot and hit the enter key.
- Then click on windows update and run the troubleshooter.
- Follow on-screen instructions and let windows check and resolve the issue for you.
- After that restart windows and check CPU usage reduced
Reset windows update components
The SoftwareDistribution folder where windows store temporary files required for installing Windows updates on your computer. There may be a bug on update files in this folder that make Windows Update get stuck in searching for updates. which cause stuck wuauserv service and cause high CPU usage problem.
- Simply open the command prompt as administrator
- type net stop wuauserv” and press Enter on your keyboard.
- Then type “net stop bits” and press Enter.
- These commands stop windows update and BITs service.
- Then navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Delete all the files in the Download folder.
- Again open the command prompt (admin)
- Perform command “net start wuauserv” and press Enter on your keyboard.
- Then type “net start bits” and press Enter.
- To enable windows update and BITS service which you previously disabled.
- Restart windows and check There is no more high system resource usage.
Stop wuauserv service
If none of the methods above works for you, you can temporarily stop the wuauserv service. This will free the computer resources it uses for the time being. Then you can install the system updates manually or wait until Microsoft releases the next updates.
Note: wuauserv service is only run when Windows Update is running. It’s not an essential service, which you can quickly disable to speed up your Windows computer.
To disable the wuauserv service
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and click ok to open the services console.
- Here scroll down and double-click on windows update.
- Change startup type Disable and stop the service next to service status.
- click apply and ok to save changes.
- That’s all restart windows and check system running smoothly,
- There is no more High CPU usage or 100% disk usage by wuauserv service.
Also, Disable Background Running Apps From Settings click on privacy. Then go to the last option in the left panel Background apps. Here switch off toggles to turn off background apps you don’t need or use.
Again form Start > Settings > System > Notifications & actions and toggle off Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows. helpful to fix the high System resource usage problem on Windows 10 PC.
- Stop Automatic Forced Upgrade to Feature Updates in Windows 10
- Fix DHCP is not enabled for local area connection in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- We couldn’t install windows 10 version 21H10x8007002C-0x400D
- [Fix] Antimalware service executable High CPU Disk usage windows 10
These are some best solutions to fix windows update process (WUAUSERV) High CPU usage in Windows 10. have any query, suggestion about this post feel free to discuss on the comments below. Also, read How to Repair/rebuild Master Boot Record (MBR) on windows 10/8.1