Windows 10 is set to download and install the update automatically. And whenever new updates available it automatically download and install via windows update. By doing this Microsoft ensures every device updated and secure from malicious attacks. But Sometimes you may notice windows updates stuck downloading at specific percentages such as 0 %, 20% or 99% etc. Also if you leave it for 4-5 hours they will remain stuck or frozen on the same particular percentage. If you are in a similar situation where we have different solutions to install windows updates smoothly.
Post Contents :-
Windows Update stuck Download
- First of all, Temporarily disable antivirus software (if installed any) and check for updates.
- Check and make sure you have a stable internet connection to download update files from the Microsoft server. Also, disable VPN if configured on your system.
- Check date & Time and region settings are correct.
- Start windows into clean boot state And check for windows updates this will help if any third party software conflict causing the issue.
Run system file checker
- Open Command prompt as administrator
- Run DISM command ” DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth “
- This will start to repair the system image
Next Run sfc /scannow (System file checker utility) to check and restore if any missing, corrupted system files causing Windows Update to stuck downloading or installing.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
This is the first and most working solution you must apply whenever you face Windows update download and installation problems.
- Press Windows + I keyboard shortcut to open Windows settings,
- Click Update & security then troubleshoot,
- here on the right-hand side select windows update and click run troubleshooter,
- This will automatically detect and fix the problems that prevent windows update installation.
The troubleshooter will attempt to identify if any problems exist which prevent your computer from downloading and installing Windows Updates. If found any the update troubleshooter tries to fix the problem itself.
Reset Windows Update components
Here another effective solutions that probably help to fix the Windows update installation problem.
- Type cmd on Start menu search,
- Right-click on the command prompt and select run as administrator.
- Run the below commands to stop Windows Update Service and Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop bits
- Then navigate to file explorer and C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Here delete all data inside the download folder.
Note: Don’t worry about these files, these are temp update files. While next time we check for Windows update, download these files fresh ones.
Again open the command prompt and run the command “net start wuauserv” and “net start bits” to restart the Windows Update Service and Background Intelligent Transfer Service that you previously stopped.
That’s all Restart windows PC and again check for updates. To do this
- Press Windows + X select settings,
- Click update & security than windows update,
- now click the check for updates button
Did this help to fix Windows Update stuck downloading updates? Let us know on the comments below