Windows 11 is set to download and install the update automatically. And whenever new updates are available it automatically downloads and installs via windows update. By doing this Microsoft ensures every device is updated and secure from malicious attacks. But Sometimes you may notice windows 11 updates stuck downloading at specific percentages such as 0 %, 20% or 99% etc. Also if you leave it for 4-5 hours it will remain stuck or frozen on the same particular percentage. If you are in a similar situation where we have different solutions to install windows updates smoothly.
Windows Update stuck Download
- First of all, Temporarily disable antivirus software (if installed) and check for updates.
- Check and make sure you have a stable internet connection to download update files from the Microsoft server. Also, disable VPN if configured on your system.
- Check date & Time and region settings are correct.
- Start windows into clean boot state And check for windows updates this will help if any third-party software conflict causes the issue.
Run system file checker
- Open Command prompt as administrator
- Run DISM command ” DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth “
- This will start to repair the system image
Next Run sfc /scannow (System file checker utility) to check and restore if any missing, corrupted system files cause Windows Update to stuck downloading or installing.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
This is the first and most working solution you must apply whenever you face Windows update download and installation problems.
- Press the Windows + I keyboard shortcut to open Windows settings,
- Go to the system then troubleshoot and click on other troubleshooters
- Here on the right-hand side select windows update and click Run,
- This will automatically detect and fix the problems that prevent windows update installation.
The troubleshooter will attempt to identify if any problems exist which prevent your computer from downloading and installing Windows Updates. If found any the update troubleshooter tries to fix the problem itself.
Reset Windows Update components
Here is another effective solution that probably helps to fix the Windows update installation problem.
- Type cmd on the Start menu search, Right-click on the command prompt and select run as administrator.
- And now Run the following commands to stop Windows Update Service and Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop bits
- Then navigate to file explorer and C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Here delete all data inside the download folder.
Note: Don’t worry about these files, these are temp update files. While next time we check for Windows updates, download these files for fresh ones.
Again open the command prompt and run the command “net start wuauserv” and “net start bits” to restart the Windows Update Service and Background Intelligent Transfer Service that you previously stopped.
That’s all Restart windows PC and again check for updates. To do this
- Press Windows + X select settings,
- Click Update & security than windows update,
- now click the check for updates button
Still, need help? use the official update assistant tool to upgrade to Windows 11 22H2 update without any problems. Also, you can get the Windows 11 version 22H2 ISO for a clean install purpose.
Did this help to fix Windows Update stuck downloading updates? Let us know in the comments below