to patch the security hole created by third-party software. And with Windows 10 Updates are set to download install automatically. This means whenever a new update available, Your PC connected to the internet that automatically downloads and installs the latest updates. And that way Microsoft makes sure the Device is completely secure. Recently Microsoft has released Windows 10 KB4598229 (OS Build 18363.1316) with a bunch of fixes and performance improvements. But it seems the update causing problem installing. A number of users report.
Cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1909 for x64 based system (KB4598229) failed to install. Error code 0x800f0900 and 0x80070005
For others, the update stuck downloading or installing. If you are also struggling with similar problems here apply the solution below to fix Windows 10 update installation problems.
Post Contents :-
Windows update failed to install
- First of all, Temporarily Disable security software (antivirus) if installed, And check again for updates.
- Check and make sure you have a working internet connection to download update files from the Microsoft server.
- If you are using VPN, disconnect from and again check for Windows updates
- Again storage is important, to download and store the update files before install for you. So make sure the system drive has free space to download update files.
Install updates on clean boot state
Performing a clean boot start the operating system using a minimal set of drivers and startup apps. And disable unnecessary startup services as well. That probably helps if any third party software or service conflict prevents windows update download on your system.
- Press Windows + R, type msconfig and ok
- This will open the system configuration window,
- Here move to the Services tab
- Select Hide all Microsoft services > Disable all
- Then Go to the Startup tab
- Open Task Manager
- Here Disable all the unnecessary services running there.
- Restart your computer and check for updates.
Use Windows Update Troubleshooter
Microsoft team well aware of Windows update failure, And they have designed Windows Update Troubleshooter. And more interestingly this is an inbuilt tool that automatically detects and fixes problems that prevent windows update download and installation.
- Press the Windows logo key + I letter key shortcut on your keyboard to open the Settings app.
- Proceed to the Update & Security section.
- Navigate to the left pane and select Troubleshoot.
- Go to the right pane and select Windows Update.
- Locate and click the Run the troubleshooter button.
- The wizard will walk you through the troubleshooting process.
- After getting the all-clear to proceed, restart your PC and again check for updates,
- Check if this time successfully installed the latest windows updates.
Reset Windows updates components
- Open Command prompt as administrator,
- Then execute command net stop wuauserv to stop windows update service.
- Next type net stop bits to stop background intelligent transfer service.
- Then Go to the following location.
- Here Delete everything inside the download folder, but do not delete the folder itself.
- To do so, press CTRL + A to select everything and then press Delete to remove the files.
- Again open the command prompt
- Execute command net start wuauserv to start the windows update service
- And net start bits to restart the services which you previously stopped.
- That’s all, restart windows and check for updates.
- Hope this time you get succeed.
Run DISM and Sfc utility
If windows system files corrupted or get missing you may face different problems include windows update failure. We recommend that once run the DISM restore health command and SFC utility before check for the latest windows updates.
- Open a command prompt as administrator,
- First run DISM restore health command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- After 100% complete the scanning process run command sfc /scannow
- this will detect and restore missing system files with the correct ones.
- Wait until 100% complete the scanning process and restart windows.
- Lets again check for Windows updates
Manually install Windows updates
- If none above solutions work for you, then simply visit the Microsoft catalog website here.
- Search for and download the latest KB4598229 offline package.
- Install the same and restart windows to apply the updates.
Note: If you face update installation stuck while checking Windows 10 feature update, We recommend to use the official media creation tool to update the windows version 20H2 smoothly.
If you are looking for Latest Windows 10 ISO you can get if from here.
Did you found this post helpful, these solutions help to fix windows update download and installation problems? Let us know on comments below, also read