Did you notice TiWorker.exe or Windows modules installer worker High Disk Usage problem on windows 10 system? Especially After install Windows 10 November 2021 update users report system not responding for a long time, files, folders or apps not opening or system crashes, Hangs. When open Task manager to check where the system resources are used, the user notices 100% disk usage by windows modules installer worker (TiWorker.exe). Now you have the question in your mind what is this windows modules installer worker or TiWorker.exe? Why it’s running on my computer and why it consumes so much system resources, 100 % Disk or CPU usage etc. Let’s understand what is Windows modules installer worker and how to disable it.
What is windows modules installer worker?
Windows Modules Installer Worker (WMIW) or TiWorker.exe is just a Windows service. That keeps running on the background and searching for new windows updates. Also, It prepares your computer for installation and checks frequently for new updates.
Usually this windows modules installer worker (TiWorker.exe) will terminate all the resource that is necessary for an update once the update is finished. But Sometimes Due to any reason these resources will keep on running in the background, Or the process is Stuck. Which causes High System Resource usage or System became unresponsive and result High CPU or 100 Disk Usage Problem.
Fix TiWorker.exe high Disk Usage problems
If you also notice tiworker.exe or windows modules installer worker causes high Disk usage and slow down your system Here are some applicable Solutions to fix windows modules installer worker high CPU or 100% Disk Usage problem on Windows 10.
Before performing bellow troubleshooting steps first perform a full system scan with a good antivirus/Anti-malware application with the latest updates installed. To make sure virus malware infection not causing this issue.
Also, run third-party System optimizers like Ccleaner to clean up junk, cache, cookies, system error, memory dump etc and fix broken registry entries.
Also, check and make sure there are no more pending updates stuck for downloading or installing which may cause the tiworker.exe or windows modules installer worker High System resource usage, 100% CPU or Disk usage.
You can check and install updates from Settings -> update & Security -> windows updates -> Check for updates.
Pro tip: If you get any Update installation errors, Stuck downloading then check this guide to fix windows update problems.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
This is also a better and easier solution to fix the high disk and CPU usage caused by the Windows Update process. If any Windows Updates are Stuck on the background, which may cause unnecessary System Resource usages like 100 CPU or DISK usage. Download and Run The Windows Update Troubleshooter and let windows fix the update Install problems for you.
Also, you can run the build-in windows update troubleshooter following the steps below.
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app,
- Go to Update & security then troubleshoot
- Click on the Additional troubleshooter link to display all available troubleshooter list,
- Select Windows update and click run the Troubleshooter.
- This will scan the system for problems prevent windows update to install and try to fix them.
- In addition, this troubleshooter check windows update service status, look for update database for corruption and try to resolve them.
- Once the troubleshooting completes, reboot your PC and check if there is no more High Disk or 100 CPU usage by the windows module installer.
Reducing the priority of TiWorker
This is another effective solution help window users get rid of 100 disk usage problems.
- Navigate to Start Menu & search for Task Manager.
- Go To Task Manager > More Details and then click on the Details tab.
- Look for TiWorker.exe and right-click on it.
- Set priority to low. (temporarily you can select End process tree to stop the TiWorker process)
Check if it reduces Tiworker.exe high CPU usage.
Disable module installer Service
I have personally found this is the Best and most effective solution to fix Windows modules installer or TiWorker.exe High Disk usage problem on Windows 10. As discussed before this problem is related to the windows modules installer worker (TrustedInstaller) and Windows Update (wuauserv) service. May these services not respond, crashes or not function properly, and cause High CPU usage problems on your computer. And disable these Services (windows modules installer worker (Trusted Installer) and Windows Update (wuauserv)) Almost Fix The Windows modules installer High Disk Usage problem for you.
- Press Window key + R, type services.msc and hit the enter key. This will open windows service console,
- Scroll down and look for a service named windows modules installer worker, double click on it to open its properties.
- Here change the Startup type To Manual or Disable and Stop the Service next to service status.
- Again Repeat this step for the Windows Update service.
- Then Restart windows And check there is no more high Disk usage 100 % CPU usage.
Tweak SoftwareDistribution folder
If you still having the same problem after stop or disable windows modules installer worker and windows update service then follow below steps to tweak the Software Distribution Folder where windows stores updates file temporarily. If any files get corrupted on Software Distribution Folder this may also cause Windows modules installer, TiWorker.exe High Disk Usage 100% CPU usage.
Before tweaking the Software Distribution Folder first, we need to stop (Windows update, Windows modules installer service) some windows update related services. As we already Stopped these services before let’s come to direct point and tweak the Software Distribution Folder.
Press windows key + E to open file explorer then navigate C:\Windows folder.
Here Delete * (or rename e.g. to “SoftwareDistributionOLD”) the SoftwareDistribution folder.
Note: Upon restart, the next time the Windows Update checks for available updates, a new empty SoftwareDistribution folder will be created automatically by Windows to store updates.
Now Restart windows to take a fresh start, Then check and install the latest available updates. As Before We Disabled the Windows update and windows modules installer service, First start them from windows services and check for the latest updates.
Check Disk Drive Errors
Also Sometimes Disk Drive Errors Cause High Disk usage, System Became unresponsive, CPU or Disk Continuously use 99% etc. Windows have a very helpful CHKDSK command-line utility that checks for disk drive errors. And by adding some extra parameters we can force CHKDSK to check and fix disk drive errors. And make sure disk Drive Errors, Bad sectors not causing this High Disk Usage problem.
- Simply open the command prompt as administrator then type command chkdsk c: /f /r /x And hit the enter key.
- When asking for schedule disk check on the next restart press the Y key and Restart windows.
- This will scan and check the drive errors if found any the chkdsk utility try to repair them.
- After 100% complete the scan and repair process windows will restart Automatically.
- Now on next start check, there is no higher Disk Usage problem and the System Running smoothly.
Fix Corrupted System Files and Services
Again corrupted or missing system files also cause different problems on your windows system. And may this TiWorker.exe High Disk Usage or 100% CPU usage is one of them. So Run The System file checker tool (which scans and restore missing corrupted system files) by following below to make sure the corrupted missing system files not causing the issue.
Open command prompt as administrator then type sfc /scannow and hit the enter key.
This will start scanning the system for missing damaged corrupted system files.
If found any the SFC utility will restore them from a compressed folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
Wait until 100% complete the scanning process then after Restart windows And check If corrupted system files caused the high Disk usage problem then After Run the SFC utility the problem will be get resolved.
Run DISM Command
If System file checker Results Windows Resource Protection Found Corrupt Files but was unable to fix them. This means the utility is unable to repair missing damaged system files. That cause you need to run the DISM command Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth which Repairs the System image and Enables SFC to do its job.
After run the DISM command Again Run Sfc / scannow command to repair missing system files. Now restart windows to get a fresh start and check There is no more High Disk usage problem.
These Are some most applicable solutions to fix the Windows module installer High Disk usage problem on windows 10. Still have any queries, suggestions or face any difficulty while apply the above solutions feel free to comment below.
- Fix a Boot Configuration Data File is Missing Error 0xc0000034
- kernel security check failure during windows 10 21H2 install/Upgrade
- Fix We can’t install some updates because other updates are in progress
- Fix Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service
- Solved: Windows 10 brightness not working (can’t adjust brightness)