Windows Explorer (Microsoft renamed Windows Explorer to File Explorer in Windows 10 and 8.1) is an important part of windows, which helps us browse our files, folders and other data on our computer. It is one of the backbones of the operating system powering not only file browsing and operations but also the taskbar and start menu. But sometimes users report Windows 10 File Explorer stops responding or doesn’t launch. If you’re also having trouble getting your File Explorer to run on Windows 10, no worries here we have a simple workaround help fix the problem.
Post Contents :-
Windows Explorer has stopped working
There are several things that can cause this problem. The users who don’t update windows regularly are the main victim of it. some other things are Outdated windows, Corrupted system files, Malware and other virus effects, Third-party incompatible programs etc.
If Windows 10 File Explorer is not responding or other parts of the Windows interface are not working as expected, you can refresh the explorer.exe process by restarting it.
- Press keyboard shortcut alt + ctrl + del and select task manager
- Once Task Manager has opened, scroll down and locate Windows Explorer,
- right-click on the Windows Explorer process and select Restart
Note: If you don’t see the desktop icons then click on file -> Run new task -> type: explorer.exe in the Open box and click OK.
Install Windows update
Microsoft regularly releases cumulative updates to address common bugs and vulnerabilities. Check and install the latest windows updates, that may have the bug fix for this problem fie Explorer Not Responding.
- Open settings app using Windows + I keyboard shortcut
- Click on update & security than Windows update,
- Now hit check for updates button to allow download update files from Microsoft server,
- And restart your PC to apply these updates.
Clear quick access history
- Right-click the File Explorer icon on the taskbar, then choose Unpin from the taskbar
- Now Press Windows key + E keyboard shortcut to open File Explorer.
- Right-click on Quick Access then select Options to open folder options.
If it is not opening, search for File Explorer Options in Control Panel.
- Now Under the General tab, choose Clear under the Privacy category.
- This will remove the associated cache and temporary files from the system.
Boot Windows into Safe Mode
Safe mode is an inbuilt troubleshooting feature that disables unnecessary and programs during the startup process. Windows 10 safe mode loads the operating system with a minimal set of system device drivers just enough to boot windows os and in safe mode the startup programs, add-ons etc do not run. If Due to this problem you are unable to perform the troubleshooting steps then safe mode boot can help you a lot.
Change display settings
Again there are chances Display Settings that interfering with the way File Explorer display files and folders on the screen
- Press Windows + I on the keyboard to launch Settings and search for Display Settings to open it.
- Under Scale and layout, the size of text, apps, and other items should be set to 100%. If not, change it and reboot to check if File Explorer is working again.
Update Graphics Card Driver
Sometimes your graphics card issues may create windows explorer unresponsive or problematic. It is possible that the video card problem is creating the restarting loop of explorer.exe. So, try to update the graphics card and see if it fixes the problem.
- Right-click on the Start menu and select Device manager
- This will display all installed device drivers
- Now expend the display adapters select your installed graphics Driver, right-click on it and select Update Driver software.
This will install the best available Driver for your windows. if this not work for then just uninstall the driver and get the latest driver from the Manufacturer website
SFC Utility to Repair Corrupted files
System file checker utility is a command prompt syntax check the system file corruption, it scans the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Now Type command “Sfc /scannow” and enter to run.
- This will start to Scan your windows for errors.
- Sfc /scannow will inspect all of the important Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will replace it. wait until complete the scanning process after complete 100% Restart your system.
Copy Explorer.exe to System 32 Folder
Some Times Copy the Explorer.exe to System 32 Folder can fix this issue.
- Open this pc -> Windows installed Drive C -> Windows
- Find out the explorer folder right-click on it and select copy.
- Now look for System 32 folder on the Same directory open the folder and paste the copied Explorer folder here. That’s it.
Also, Refer Bellow Video Steps Performed to Fix windows explorer stopped working Keeps Restarting and Crashing problem on windows 10.
- Solved: Remote desktop not working after windows 10 update
- How to Fix ‘Your Windows License Will Expire Soon’ Error on Windows 10
- Windows 10 freezes randomly after update? Here how to fix it
- How to fix Stop Code “VIDEO TDR FAILURE” On Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- 3 Ways to fix your Dead Windows 10 Start Menu problems