Windows updates are essential for keeping Windows 11 devices secured And Microsoft Regularly drops Cumulative updates with bug fixes and Security improvements to fix the Security holes created by Third-party applications, Viruses/malware, etc. Whenever New updates are available, Windows 11 Download Install updates automatically when the machine is connected to the Microsoft server. However, sometimes windows updates might fail to install and you may end up with a Windows Update error.
2023-03 cumulative update for widnows 11 version 22H2 for x64 based system (KB5023706) – Error 0x80070246
Sometimes the error code might be different 0x80070246, 0x80070002, 0x8007000D, 0x800F081F, 0x80073712, 0x800736CC, 0x800705B9, 0x8007370D.
Windows 11 Update Error 0x80070246
There are several reasons why Windows 11 updates keep failing or stuck download hours. It could be Because of slow internet, corrupted system files, Virus/malware infection, Overload in the Update Queue, Conflict with Drives or Hardware and more.
Mostly windows 11 Update installation problems (Windows update Stuck, update download and installation Error, etc) issue Occur Because of slow internet or when the Update Storage folder (C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution) Became corrupted. Some Other reasons may be corrupted system files, Virus/malware infection, corruption of the Windows registry, etc.
Note: These solutions are applicable to fix any Windows update download and installation Related problems and errors include windows update Stuck issues on Windows 10 as well.
- Make sure you have enough free space in your C drive to install the latest Windows 11 updates.
- Check your internet connection, Because you need a stable internet connection to download windows update files from the Microsoft server.
- Disable VPN if configured on your device and disable or temporarily uninstall third-party antivirus from your device to check whether security software prevents apply the latest windows updates on your device.
- Remove the external hard disks, if connected to y our device.
Did you know- Most of the windows update issues are solved by just restarting the Windows 11 PC.
Change Windows Updating Settings
Most of the time update the Region and language Setting, Fix most of the windows update problems (some things go wrong, different update Errors, etc) on Windows 11.
Click on the Start menu search, Type region, and select Region And Language settings from Search Results. Here On the Region and Language window, select the United States as a country or region. Also under Languages Preferences Make sure English (United States) is selected default language. otherwise, click on “Add a language” and then add “your language“.
Again open Settings -> update & Security -> Advanced Options -> And Clear option Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows.
After making the basic changes Restart your computer for the changes to take effect. Then after again check for windows updates from settings -> update & security -> check for updates. Hope this helps to fix your issue, Still have the same Error try the next solution.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooting Tool
Windows Have a built-in Update Troubleshooting Tool, Which helps to find and fix windows update-related problems. That troubleshooter won’t necessarily fix every update error, but it can resolve quite a few update issues nonetheless. We recommend Run The update Troubleshooting Tool first and let windows fix the problem itself.
Windows update troubleshooter detect the Windows update issues for Windows 11 and try to resolve them automatically.
- Press the Windows key and select settings,
- Go to the system then Troubleshoot and click on Other troubleshooters,
- This opens the window for the troubleshooters, locate windows update then click on run
This will check the windows system for errors and problems which prevent to the installation of updates. This process can take a few minutes to complete and fix itself. After completing the troubleshooting Restart windows. It should hopefully clear up the problems causing Windows Update installation Error 0x80070246.
Run Windows System File Checker
Also As discussed before Corrupted missing system files cause Different problems on Windows computers. Maybe due to this windows update fails also. System File Checker is a handy tool included with Windows that helps to scan for and restore corruption in Windows system files.
System File Checker is one of the best tools included in Windows 11 for repairing system files.
To run System File Checker open the Command prompt as administrator.
- Click on the start menu and type cmd, Right click on the command prompt and select run as administrator,
- Type the command SFC /scannow and press ENTER key
This will start the scanning process for missing and corrupted system files, If found any this will restore them from a cache folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache. You only have to wait until 100% complete the scanning process.
If this result system file checker found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them etc then. Then run the Dism Command :
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
After completing, the 100% scanning process again Run the SFC utility and Restart the windows. you can read more About DISM command And SFC utility here.
Check the Windows Update Service
The windows update service must be enabled and running state to download and install windows updates on your PC. Let’s check that service, and others needed for updates, are enabled and running when update errors occur.
- Press the Windows key + R type services.msc and click ok to open the windows service console,
- Scroll down and locate the windows update service, double-click on it to open its properties,
- Make sure the startup type is selected automatically and click start if the service isn’t running.
- Click apply then ok to make save changes.
Also, check that other related services required by Windows Update are enabled and running. These are three other services you should check as outlined above:
- Application Identity
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
- Cryptographic Services
Clear SoftwareDistribution Folder Cache
If the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool is unable to fix the update installation Error. Then Deleting windows update cache files is another solution that may just work for you.
- Press the Windows key and search for cmd, Right click on the command prompt and select run as administrator,
- Type the command net stop wuauserv and press enter key to stop the windows update service.
- Next press the windows key + E to open file explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Here delete all files and folders inside the Download folder, To do so, press the Windows key + A to select all and hit the Del key on your keyboard,
Note- Don’t worry about these files, these are update cache files. When you check for updates again it will download fresh files from the Microsoft server.
- Once done restart your PC and check for updates again.
This is the most working solution to fix most window update-related problems, Download & install Errors, Update installation Stuck At any point, etc. I hope clear software distribution Cache will also be helpful for you to fix Error 0x80070246.
Some Other Solutions
If still having the same issue After applying the above solutions, Then try adding the windows update server address to your trusted websites in Windows to check if this was the root cause of the issue.
- Click on the Start menu Search type Internet options, And hit the enter key.
- Now move to the Security Tab, click on Trusted Sites then select Sites As shown below the image.
- Select the check box to clear the “Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone” feature.
- You will see an option there that says “Add this website to the zone”. There you will need to type in the following addresses:
- Click on the “Add” button after adding the windows update servers.
- Click on the Ok button to save your settings, After that again Check for updates hope this is helpful for you.
These are some most working solutions to Fix Windows 11 Cumulative update install Error 0x80070246. Note These solutions are applicable to fix any Windows update Related problems and errors including the windows update Stuck issue. I hope After applying these solutions your problem gets solved, and now you can install updates without any errors. Still, have any queries, Suggestions Feel free to comment below.
- Fix Windows Has Detected An IP Address Conflict In Windows 10
- How To Clear Cache on Windows 10 (7 Hidden Cache you must clear)
- Fix Windows 10 critical error start menu Cortana isn’t working
- Failed to Install the Game from Microsoft Store? Try these 8 tips
- Solved: Windows 10 brightness not working (can’t adjust brightness)