Microsoft releases system updates from time to time and by default to fix bugs on the current system and improve features. Windows 10 is set to install updates automatically, which means whenever any new updates are available this will download automatically itself. Or some times users have to check for updates manually. But sometimes you might experience, Windows 10 updates stuck downloading for hours, or windows updates fail to install with different errors. So what caused the issue, and how to fix windows update problems?
Why Windows update stuck download?
There are several reasons why the installation or finalization of one or more Windows updates can stuck. Most often, these types of problems are due to a software conflict or a preexisting issue that simply wasn’t brought to light until the Windows updates started installing. Much more rarely they’re caused by a mistake on Microsoft’s part regarding the update itself. Again problems with the internet connection or third-party security software may also block windows update download or installation.
Whatever the reason, apply the solutions listed below to fix windows update problems on windows 10.
Before moving forward we recommend wait few more minutes, there may update downlaod or install process going on background.
Check and make sure you have a stable internet connection to download windows update files from the Microsoft server, And disconnect VPN if configured on your PC.
Make sure your PC has enough free space (On C drive) to download and store windows updates before apply them.
Restart your PC and check for updates again, this will refresh the operating system and clear temporary glitches that may prevent windows updates apply.
Use the windows update Troubleshooter
Windows includes a built-in troubleshooter that may be able to help fix a stuck update. It’s the easiest method to try, so go ahead and run it first. Head over to the Microsoft support site and download the troubleshooter. Once downloaded, open the destination folder and then execute the application.
To manually run the Troubleshooting tool
- Press windows key + S type troubleshoot settings and select the first result,
- Click on additional troubleshooter link to display all available tools,
- locate and select windows update then click on run the troubleshooter,
- This will check the system for errors and problems which prevent install windows updates this which can take a few minutes to complete and fix itself.
- After completing the troubleshooting it should hopefully clear up the problems causing Windows Update to get stuck.
Fix Windows Update stuck by Deleting Its Cache Manually
If you’re still having trouble after running the troubleshooter, performing the same actions manually may help where the troubleshooter didn’t. Deleting windows update cache files is another solution that may just work for you.
Press windows key + S type cmd, right click on command prompt select run as administrator. Now perform following commands to stop windows update and its related services.
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop dosvc
- Now press windows key + E to open file explorer then navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.
- Open the Download folder and delete all files and folders inside the download folder. To do so press windows key + A to select all then hit the del key to delete them.
- It may ask you for administrator permission. Give it. Don’t worry. There’s nothing vital here. Windows Update will recreate what it needs the next time you run it.
- Once done reboot your computer and check for windows update again.
Repair Corrupted Windows system files
SFC command is an easy solution to fix some windows related problems. If any missing or damaged system files create the problem System File Checker is very helpful to fix. If this Error ( windows 10 stuck while the download and install windows updates) happens due to corrupt missing or damaged system files this system file check can help to fix this error. here is how to run a system file check on windows 10, 8.1, and 7.
On start search Type CMD and Run as administrator when command prompt appears.
Now type command – SFC /SCANNOW
In addition run the dism command – dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
This will scan your system for all its important system files, and replace them where necessary. Wait until Windows scans and repairs system files. When the System file check and repair is completed, restart your computer and check if your computer works smoothly.
Switch to Google DNS
In addition few users report switch to Google DNS help them fix the windows update stuck download problem. You can Change DNS Server to Google on Windows Computer following steps below.
- Press Windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl and hit ok to open the network connections window,
- Right-click on the Network (WiFi or Ethernet) for which you want to change the DNS Server.
- On WiFi/Ethernet Properties screen, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- Next select Use the following DNS server addresses option and enter 18.104.22.168 as your Preferred DNS Server and 22.214.171.124 as the Alternate DNS server.
- Click on OK to save the new DNS Server settings on your computer.
- Restart your computer and check for windows updates again.
Did the above solutions help fix the windows update problem? Let us know on the comments below.