Windows 10 May 2021 update was one of the most anticipated updates available for everyone. This is a huge update that touches every corner of the OS include a number of new features and improvements. But, unfortunately, Windows 10 21H1 update also brought many stability issues like windows 10 freezes randomly, Or windows 10 updates slow down the laptop. For few others report windows 10 startup and shutdown very slow after update. If you are also struggling with similar problems, Laptop running slow or Windows 10 not responding at a startup here apply solutions below.
Post Contents :-
Windows 10 freezes
There can be many reasons for a PC to lock up, But Driver incompatibility and system file corruption are most commonly cause Windows 10 freeze. And update driver software with the latest version and running DISM restore health command and system file checker utility most probably help to optimize the Windows 10 performance.
- Before go ahead we recommend temporarily disable antivirus software if installed.
- Perform Windows 10 clean boot, which helps if any startup service conflict causing the issue.
- If the problem started after installing new applications or games we recommend uninstall the same and check the application is compatible with the current Windows 10 version.
Install latest Windows update
Microsoft regularly releases cumulative updates with bug fixes and security improvements. And may the latest update contains a bug fix for the problem causing windows 10 to freeze.
- Press Windows + I keyboard shortcut to open the settings app,
- Click on Update & security than windows update,
- here click on the check for updates button
- This will download and install the latest updates if available,
- Restart windows to apply the changes and check if Windows 10 running smoothly.
Install .NET Framework 3.5 and C++ Redistributable Package
After upgrade to Windows 10 if your computer keeps freezing and not responding These issues can be fixed by installing various C++ Redistributable Packages and .NET Framework 3.5. Windows 10 and many third-party applications rely on these components, therefore be sure to download them from the links below.
Run DISM and SFC Utility
DISM also is known as Deployment Image Servicing and Management command helps to repair Windows images, Windows Setup, and Windows PE. And running system file checker utility help to detect and restore missing corrupted system files with correct ones. This is very helpful if any files missing or corrupted during the windows 10 upgrade process.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- First run DISM RestoreHealth command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- And after that run system file checker utility command sfc /scannow
- Let this 100% complete the scanning process and restart windows,
- Now check if Windows 10 running smoothly.
Update device driver
As discussed before the Windows 10 freezing problem can be caused by outdated drivers. So to fix the problem, you can try to update the drivers, especially the display driver.
- Press the Windows key+X on your keyboard and select Device Manager.
- Look for any driver listed with a yellow triangle mark,
- Right-click and select uninstall, download the latest driver from the manufacturing site and install.
- Also, Look for Display Adapters, and then click on the arrow beside it.
- Right-click on your display adapter, and then select Uninstall.
- In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to Delete the driver package from the system.
- Click on the Action menu on the upper part of Device Manager.
- Select Scan for Hardware changes.
- Once the driver is installed, restart your computer.
- Do the same process for other drives listed with the yellow triangle mark.
Adjust your virtual memory
Virtual memory is basically an extension of your computer’s physical memory. It is a combination of RAM and a portion of your hard drive. If your computer runs out of RAM when performing an intensive task, Windows will dip into virtual memory for temporary file storage.
- Press Windows + R, type sysdm.cpl, and ok
- Move to Advanced tab, then click Settings under the performance,
- This will open the “Performance Options,” window
- Go to the Advanced tab and choose Change… in the Virtual memory section.
- Here uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives
Select your windows drive (the hard drive or partition that has Windows installed on it – usually C:), and enter an Initial size and Maximum size for your virtual memory:
- Initial size – This value varies, depending on your computer. If you’re not sure what value to use, just enter whatever the number is in the Recommended category.
- Maximum size – Don’t set this value too high. It should be about 1.5 times the size of your physical RAM. e.g. A PC with 4 GB (4096 MB) of RAM should have no more than about 6,144 MB virtual memory (4096 MB x 1.5).
Once you’ve entered your virtual memory values, click Set, then click OK to continue.
Check Disk drive error
Sometimes disk drive errors also cause windows 10 freezes or high Disk usage problems. Run check disk utility following steps below that help detect and fix disk drive errors.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Type chkdsk C: /f /r and press enter key,
- Press Y to schedule check disk to run on next start,
- close everything and restart windows.
Turn Off Link State Power Management
- Press Windows + R, Type powercfg.cpl, and then hit “OK”.
- Find your power plan and then click “Change plan settings”.
- Choose “Change advanced power settings”.
- Locate the PCI Express category and then expand it, change the setting of Link State Power Management to Off.
- Click “OK” and then “Apply”.
Go Back to The previous Build
And finally, if the problem started after installing the latest Windows 10 21H1. And apply the above solutions didn’t fix the problem, then roll back windows to the previous build.
- How To download and Install Chromium-Based Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
- Fix Windows 10 WiFi keeps disconnecting Dropping connection (5 working solutions)
- Windows 10 Laptop Running slow and unresponsive after update? Lets Make It Faster
- Windows 10 extremely slow after update? Lets fix the problem, make it faster