A number of users report after the recent windows 10 upgrade (May 2021 update ) Windows won’t let to adjust brightness on the laptop. If you are also experiencing a Windows 10 brightness control “not working” issue. This problem in the relevant drivers doesn’t allow you to adjust your display brightness. Again sometimes incorrect power configuration, third-party applications, Windows update bugs cause “windows 10 brightness not working“. whatever the reason here are some quick solutions you may apply to fix the problems that prevent changing the brightness of the screen in Windows 10.
After the recent upgrades to Windows 10 version 21H1, my Dell Laptop brightness is off the charts. I can find no way to adjust it. The function buttons no longer work. Under settings, the display setting provides no adjustment for brightness.
Post Contents :-
Windows 10 brightness not working
If the problem started after installing windows 10 version 21H1, then make sure you have installed the latest Cumulative Update, As Microsoft mentioned: “Addresses an issue with the brightness controls on some laptops after updating to the Windows 10 May 2021 Update. ”
You Can check And install latest updates from Settings ( Windows + I ) -> Update & Security -> windows update -> And check for updates. Restart windows and check This will fix the “can’t adjust brightness ” bug.
Change brightness settings
- Go into “Control Panel” and then “Power Options” Or Right-click on the Power icon on the taskbar and select Power Options.
- Click the “Change plan settings” link next to whichever plan you are currently using and then click “Change advanced power settings“.
- In this new window click “Display” to open up the listings under it.
- Now locate and click each of the following…” Display brightness”, “Dimmed display brightness” and”Enable adaptive brightness”.
Change each of these to the settings you wish, then click the “Apply” button and finally the “OK” button. That’s all, restart your system and check on the next login windows allow adjusting screen brightness.
Note: some users report Turnoff Adaptive brightness option from power options, which allows them to customize the screen brightness. you can also try this “Turnoff Adaptive brightness ” and check it may help you.
Reinstall the display driver
As discussed this is a graphics driver-related issue, and Reinstalling the display ( Graphics ) driver is the ultimate solution to fix screen brightness not working/increasing issue. First Go to the manufacturer’s website according to your PC GPU ie, Intel, Nvidia, or AMD. And download and save the graphics driver by selecting your GPU model and OS architecture 32/64 bit.
- Now Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc and ok to open the device manager.
- Here expand display driver, right-click on installed graphics driver and select uninstall.
- Click ok When asking for confirmation and restart windows to completely uninstall the display driver.
After that on the next login install the latest graphics driver which was previously downloaded from the device manufacturer’s website. Again restart windows and check this time you can adjust screen brightness.
Also, Update Generic PnP Monitor Driver from Device Manager -> Expand Monitors and then right-click on Generic PnP Monitor and select Update Driver. Select Browse my computer for driver software. Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer option at the bottom. Now select Generic PnP Monitor and click Next. After performing this action restart your system and check it helps to fix “can’t adjust brightness windows 10”
Did these steps help to fix windows 10 brightness not working or can’t adjust the screen brightness problem? Let us know which option worked for you.
- Windows 10 extremely slow after update? Lets fix the problem, make it faster
- Windows 10 Setup stuck on “Getting a few things ready”? Try these solutions
- Find Out Which Windows 10 Version Build and Edition you have installed
- Fix error status 0xc000012f Bad Image Error on Windows 10
- Useful tips To Secure your home computer running Windows 10