When the computer is inactive over a certain period of time windows automatically goes to sleep mode. And when you back to work, press any key on the keyboard the windows screen wakeup automatically and allows continue your task. But sometimes users report After waking the Laptop from sleep it comes to a black screen and just the mouse pointer that can move around. A few numbers of users report similar problems after Windows 10 October 2020 Upgrade the laptop display will not consistently come out of a black screen when waking up. Close the lid to go to sleep but when Open the lid to wake up, the machine wakes, but there is no display. And the only way you have to restart the windows is to start the windows normally.
Most of the time outdated or incompatible display drivers, incorrect power plan configuration, or the fast startup feature cause Windows 10 black screen problems upon waking up. Well if you are also struggling with similar problems here are some solutions to apply.
Windows 10 black screen with cursor
Well, currently you are stuck on the black screen lets completely turn off the laptop or PC.
If you have a laptop causing black screen then
- Remove the battery,
- Press and hold the power button for a few seconds,
- again insert the battery and start windows
Disable fast startup
- Open control panel, search for and select power options,
- Now click on “Choose what the power button does” on the left pane.
- Click “Change settings that are currently unavailable” on the top of this page.
- Scroll down until you find “Turn on Fast Startup” and uncheck it.
- Now save the changes and close it,
Run power troubleshooter
Run the build-in power troubleshooter that automatically detect and fix problems with your computer’s power settings.
- Search for troubleshoot settings and select the first result,
- scroll down and locate power, select it
- Now click run the troubleshooter and follow on-screen instructions,
- Once the diagnosing process completes restarting your PC
Change power management setting
- In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager.
- Click the arrow next to Keyboards and double-click the name of your keyboard.
- Move to the Power Management tab
- Here make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked.
Update display driver
Most of the time Unchecking the “Turn on fast startup (recommended)” on Shutdown settings and ran the troubleshooter on power settings to correct any other issues probably fix the black screen problem, If you still need help then we recommend to check and update the display driver, probably its outdated, corrupted and may cause the issue.
- Right-click on the start menu select device manager,
- Here find and Expand the Display adapter.
- Right-click on the installed display adapter driver and select update.
- Now Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Wait for Windows 10 to find and automatically download the best driver.
If this results in windows already install the best driver then try to uninstall the display driver and reinstall the latest updated driver for this. you can download the latest driver from the below link.
Install latest Windows update
Microsoft regularly releases cumulative updates with a number of bug fixes and installing the latest windows updates fix the previous problems as well. Install the latest windows update that may have the bug fix for the windows 10 black screen problem.
- Press Windows + I keyboard shortcut to open the settings app,
- Click Update & security then windows update,
- Now hit the check for updates button to allow download and install windows updates from the Microsoft server
- Once done restart your PC to apply the updates
Run system file checker utility
Sometimes due to corrupt system files Windows 10 Freezes with a black screen after waking from sleep, and windows get problematic like a slow start, not perform well, black screen after system startup, or waking up. In such situations run the build-in sfc utility that detects and restores corrupted system files with correct ones.
- open command prompt as administrator,
- Type command sfc /scannow and hit the enter key,
- let the process complete 100%
- Once done restart your PC.
If none above solutions help to fix the problem, still windows 10 is stuck on the black screen after waking from sleep then turn off the Hibernation following the steps below.
- open command prompt as administrator,
- Type command powercfg /h off and hit the enter key,
- Note: It will give you no output if it worked – simply restart your PC.
Now onwards your PC/Laptop never go for sleep mode and you never face a black screen problem on windows 10.