Did you notice the windows system became unresponsive, Laptop Running very slow After Install Windows 10 may 2019 update? And checking on Taskmanager it’s displaying The disk drive using very high, it’s almost 99 or 100%. This is because When a process or an app in Microsoft Windows forces the system to utilize the hard drive to its full capacity. This issue, commonly known as the 100% disk usage problem, can arise due to various reasons. It can be Chrome’s web page prefetch feature, a bug in a Windows driver, virus/malware infection or some other Windows features. Whatever the reason here applies the solution below to fix the windows 10 high disk usage problem.
Post Contents :-
Windows 10 High Disk usage
Start with basic install a good antivirus with the latest updates and perform a full system scan to make sure any virus/malware infection not causing the issue.
Also, Run System File Checker Tool, which Scan scans and reshes missing corrupted System Files from a Special cache folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache. Again If SFC Utility End with Error windows resource found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them then Run The DISM Tool which scan And repair the System image and allow SFC utility to do its job.
Disable Background Apps: on Windows 10 open Settings -> Privacy -> Scroll down and select Background Apps. Here you have two options either you can turn off apps running in the background app (this will turn off all apps) or you can manually turn off apps one by one using the turn off button.
Disable Disk Defrag: Besides, the high disk usage problem could be related to the defrag tool in Windows 10. Sometimes, your computer is trying to defrag the drive. However, it’s actually a solid-state drive instead of a hard disk drive. You can press Windows + Q, type Task Scheduler without the quotes, and disable the scheduled disk defrag task, if available.
Disable Windows Notifications
Some Users on Microsoft Forum or Reddit report Disable Windows Notifications Help them to fix 100 disk usage problems on windows 10.
- Press Windows + I to open Settings,
- Click on System, then Notifications and Actions.
- Simply turn off the Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows.
Disable Windows services
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and ok to open windows services console,
- now scroll down and look for superfetch service,
- Right-click on superfetch service select properties,
- Here change the startup type disabled and stop the service next to service status.
- Do the same with other services: BITS, Windows update, and Search service.
- Restart windows and check there is no more 100% disk usage in windows 10.
Reset Virtual Memory
Windows Automatically usage Disk Drive Space As Virtual Memory (A combination of the disk drive and RAM). If you Recently Customize Virtual memory For windows performance optimization Reset it To Default. Because Sometimes the wrong customization also Causes Disk Drive not Responding or 100 percent Disk Usage.
To reset virtual memory on to default state
- Press Windows + R, type sysdm.cpl, and hit the enter key.
- On System, properties move to the Advanced tab
- click Settings under Performance.
- On performance, options move to Advanced tab click on the Change button under Virtual Memory.
- Then checkmark on Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.
- Click Apply ok and Restart windows to take Effect the Changes.
Use High-Performance Power Plan
With some computers, hard drives are smart and will try to power down or change RPM to save power.
- open Control Panel and go to Hardware and Sound > Power Options to
- see which power plan you are currently using.
- Make sure you are using a High Performance.
- In addition, click on Change plan settings
- Then expand Turn off hard disk after and set the minutes to 0.
- This will ensure that the hard disk does not power down or go into the low power state, which can cause the disk usage problem.
Run Disk Check
Windows has a built-in tool that will scan your drive for errors and attempt to correct them. Open the Command Prompt as Admin
- Type chkdsk.exe /f /r and hit Enter.
- Then on the next prompt type: Y and hit Enter.
- This Will Stat scanning and repairing process for Disk Drive Error
- Restart windows After 100% Complete and check system Running without High Disk Usage.
Fix your StorAHCI.sys driver
This is the most effective solution I personally found to fix 100% disk usage in windows 10. The Windows 10 100% disk usage problem might also be caused by some Advanced Host Controller Interface PCI-Express (AHCI PCIe) models running with the inbox StorAHCI.sys driver due to a firmware bug. Here’s how to determine and fix if this is your problem.
- Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc, and click ok to open device manager.
- Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers,
- Right-click Standard SATA AHCI Controller and go to Properties.
- Now check the Under Driver tab, click Driver Details.
- If it shows C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\storahci.sys in the Drivers files field, then you are running the inbox AHCI driver.
- Now click OK and go to the Details tab.
- Hereunder the property Select Device instance path from the drop-down menu.
- And copy the value present there to some text file or keep the box open.
Note: If you find multiple AHCI controllers in IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, copy the AHCI Device Instance path for every one of them and do the following steps for each controller one by one.
Tweak on Windows registry editor (to stop StorAHCI.sys 100% disk usage)
- Now, open Windows Registry (Windows + R > Type Regedit).
- First backup registry database and navigate to:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\<AHCI Controller> \Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties.
- The <AHCI Controller> here refers to the Value Which you previously noted).
- Now on the right pane of MessageSignaledInterruptProperties key,
- look for the registry DWORD(REG_DWORD) named MSISupported which should be corresponding to Value 1 as its Data.
- Double-click on the DWORD to modify its value and Set 0 As shown below image.
Restart your computer after the change, then check your computer’s disk usage.
Change your Google Chrome & Skype settings
For some Windows 10 users, a particular combination of Skype and Google Chrome browser settings causes the 100% disk usage problem in Windows 10. Here’s how to fix those settings
In the case of Google Chrome, the web page pre-load feature is at fault. You can turn it off by visiting chrome://settings > Show Advanced Settings > Privacy. Here, untick the option called Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly.
Now Make sure that your Skype is not running. Then navigate to Windows Explorer, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\. Here Right-click Skype.exe and select Properties. Go to the Security tab and select Edit. Click ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES and tick the Allow checkbox for Write. Then click Apply, then OK to save your change.
Now after making these changes simply restart windows and check I am sure there is no more High DIsk usage or 100% disk usage in windows 10. Still, have any query, suggestion feel free to discuss on the comments below. Also, Read