Windows 10 Stop Code “VIDEO TDR FAILURE” indicates that driver related to Graphics Card stops responding or malfunctioning. And at the point of time System restart automatically with Blue Screen error video_tdr_failure (atikmpag.sys nvlddmkm.sys or igdkmd64.sys) to prevent data loss and to restore the things to their default. The common reason for this issue is that due to incompatible graphics card drivers or graphics device is being overloaded beyond its capabilities. And update or reinstall latest graphics card driver is probably a good solution to fix video_tdr_failure on windows 10.
Post Contents :-
- 1 video TDR failure windows 10
video TDR failure windows 10
Whenever you face Windows 10 blue screen error we recommend disconnect all external devices that probably fix if driver conflict causing the issue.
Perform startup repair
If due to this blue screen error windows frequently restarts or won’t start normally. That cause startup repair is a good fix the detect and fixes the problems prevent windows to start normally.
- Boot from windows installation media,
- Skip the first screen and click repair your computer (see image below)
- Next click troubleshoot then advanced options,
- Here on advanced options screen click startup repair,
- This will restart windows and detect the problems prevent windows start to normally.
- Well restart after complete the process and check if windows start normally.
Boot into safe mode
If startup repair fails to fix the problem, and windows still frequently restart with blue screen error video TDR failure. That cause you need to boot into safe mode. Windows 10 safe mode boot start system with minimum system requirements and allow to perform troubleshooting steps to fix various problems on windows.
- Lets again access advanced options,
- This time click on startup settings,
- Click on the restart,
- Now on next screen click F4 to start windows on safe mode.
- Or Press F5 to boot into safe mode with networking, that allows accessing internet connection.
- And now perform steps below to fix and prevent video TDR failure BSOD on windows 10
Refer This video How to boot into safe mode in Windows 10
Update Graphics card driver
As discussed before, the graphics driver incompatibility this the most common reason behind this problem. Try updating the Graphics card drivers from device manager and check if it helps:
- Press Windows + X keyboard shortcut and select device manager,
- Spot and expand the “Display adapters”.
- Right click on the Graphics card driver and select “Update Driver Software”.
- When it prompts to choose an option How do you want to search driver, then go with Search automatically for updated driver software.
- If you have a driver available on your PC, then select Browse my computer for driver software, then select the appropriate location, where the driver located on your PC for updating it. (Ensure that PC is connected to the Internet while performing this step)
- Otherwise, select option, Search automatically for updated driver software option to allow windows update to check for and install latest graphics driver if available.
- Once this is done, restart the computer to check the problem fixed.
If it doesn’t fix the issue, then Right click on the same driver and select “Uninstall” then restart the system and let the system install the driver automatically on Start. Check and see if it resolve the issue. (Recommended step)
Install Graphics driver in compatibility mode
Check and install latest Windows 10 graphics card drivers for your device from Manufacture’s website instead of from NVIDIA website and check if it helps. Most probably it will fix the issue
If no updated drivers available on the manufacturer’s website for Windows 10, then trying installing drivers in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.
- Download the latest and available driver from the manufacturer’s website.
- Uninstall the existing graphics card drivers from your PC through Control Panel.
- Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘Properties’.
- Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 or 7 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.
- Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
Fix VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE Atikmpag.sys AMD Users
This is exclusively for AMD Radeon users. Here are the detailed procedures.
- At first go to C > Windows > System32.
- Find atikmpag.sys and rename it as atikmpag.sys.bak.
- Now, If you already have installed latest version of AMD graphics card driver software in your PC, You should see a folder called ATI in local disk C. Just, Go to C > ATI.
- Find atikmpag.sy_ and copy it to desktop.
- Open Command prompt as administrator
- Type chdir desktop and hit Enter.
- Then, Type the following commands and hit enter for each.
expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys
expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys
- Now, You should see a new atikmdag.sys file in desktop. Just copy it to C > System32.
- Restart you PC.
- It should fix VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE.
Fix VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Users
If you have installed Nvdia Graphic Driver on your system Do the same for nvlddmkm.sys.
- Go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and rename “nvlddmkm.sys” to “nvlddmkm.sys.old”.
- Go to Nvidia directory (usually in C: Nvidia or C:drvvganVidia) and find the file nvlddmkm.sy_.
- Copy the file to your Desktop directory.
- Open Command prompt as administrator.
- Change the directory to Desktop by typing “chdir Desktop”.
- Then, type “EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys“. Or, “expand -r nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys”.
- When the expansion is complete, copy the new nvlddmkm.sys from your Desktop to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and Restart the windows.
Scan and Fix Damaged System Files
It is possible to be due to the corrupted system files or missing system files you will getting this video tdr failure nvlddmkm.sys windows 10. In this case, you can use system file checker utility to check the file system. If this System File Checker finds out the protected files are overwritten by incorrect files, it will extract the correct system file from the system file backup (namely dllcache) and replace the incorrect file. This command is useful to repair system files, and you can do the following steps:
- Open Command prompt as administrator,
- Type “sfc /scannow” and hit enter.
- This will scan your system for all its important system files, and replace where necessary.
- Wait until Windows scans and repairs system files.
- When the System file check and repair is completed, restart your computer and check if your computer works smoothly.
Perform System restore
One of the most Useful Feature in Windows is Restore Point. If you already have Created Restore Point earlier when your computer was working fine. Then it’s the right time to utilize that restore point. read how to perform a system restore on windows 10.
Did these solutions work fix video_tdr_failure on windows 10? Let us know on comments below, also read:
- Windows 10 freezes after update? try these solutions to fix it
- 3 solutions to Fix ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED on Google Chrome
- Fix windows 10 bad pool header stop code 0x00000019
- How to Fix ‘Your Windows License Will Expire Soon’ Error on Windows 10, 8.1
- Windows 10 May 2019 Update v1903 new features and improvements