As per Microsoft official, the latest Windows 11 operating system is much faster compared to Windows 10 OS. However some users are experiencing windows 11 slow performance after installing it, especially those who install Windows 11 on unsupported devices, may experience issues with their performance. There are a number of possible reasons slow down windows 11, low system storage to outdated drivers or too many running programs to 100% disk usage. whatever the reason, Here is How to Fix the Windows 11 Slow and Lagging Problem and speed up Windows 11 to run faster.
How to Fix the Windows 11 Slow and Lagging Problem
Like previous versions, specifically Windows 10, on Windows 11 is also integrated with many options to tweak the system and improve better performance on the user’s computer. If you’ve recently upgraded to Windows 11 and have been experiencing a frustratingly slow PC performance, apply the tweaks listed below to fix the performance issue and make windows 11 faster.
Turn Off Visual Effects
Visual Effects take up a lot of memory and impact your computer’s performance. So to Optimize windows 11 performance, the first solution is to turn off Visual Effects. Follow the steps below:
Disabling the visual effects is one of the most efficient methods to make windows 11 faster
- Press the Windows key + S, and type View advanced system settings into the Search box on the Start Menu, on the list of search results click to open.
- On the window displayed on the screen, click the Advanced tab. In the Performance section, click Settings.
- Next, select the radio button the Adjust for the best performance option.
- Also in the Custom section, find and check the option Show thumbnails instead of icons and the Smooth edges of screen fonts option.
- Finally, click Apply => OK to save the changes.
In addition, open windows 11 settings, Go to Accessibility then visual effects. And toggle off the Transparency effects and Animation effects options.
Turn Off Applications That Start With The System
To disable applications that start with the system and Make Windows 11 Faster, follow the steps below:
- Click the Start button then select Settings.
- On the Settings window, locate and click on Apps then Startup.
- Here you will get the option to toggle off startup programs.
- Find and turn off the slider located next to the applications that you do not want to start with the system.
In addition to turning off applications, by turning off programs that start with the system also helps speed up Windows 11 significantly.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key simultaneously to open Task Manager.
- Move to the Startup tab, Here you will see the programs start with your computer with its startup impact,
- Click on the programs you want to turn off when starting with Windows 11, then click Disable below to finish.
Enable Storage Sense and Delete Temporary Files
One of the most common reasons why Windows 11 is running slow may be because your computer is running out of hard drive space. By activating the Storage Sense option to automatically free up disk space, delete temporary files, and manage locally available cloud documents, it also helps speed up Windows 11 PC.
- Click the Start button, select Settings, or alternatively press Windows + I to open the Settings window.
- Next, Go to System then click on the Storage option.
- Here find and activate the slider next to the Storage Sense option to activate.
Delete temporary files
Now delete Temporary files that are created by programs for temporary purposes. They can take up an amount of storage space on the device, so deleting temp files would be a wise choice to fix the lagging problem and speed up Windows 11 computers.
Getting rid of Temporary Files can surely make a difference on PC performance
- Again open windows 11 settings and go to System then Storage
- Click on Temporary files.
- Select the temporary files you want to delete and then click the Remove files option.
Note- If you also want to clear the Recycle bin which wouldn’t be automatically selected, tick the check box before you make sure that there is nothing important in the Recycle bin.
Uninstall Unnecessary Programs
Windows 11 operating systems and computers come pre-loaded with a number of applications, but many of these applications are not used by users and are the cause of consuming a lot of system resources. In this case, the solution is to uninstall unnecessary programs to free up space and speed up Windows 11 laptops.
- First, open the Settings app using the Windows key + I
- In the left pane, find and click Apps and then click Apps and features in the right pane.
- This will display a list of applications installed on the computer.
- Click on the 3-dot icon to the right of the name of the application you want to uninstall and select Uninstall.
- Follow on-screen instructions to remove the app or program from your Windows 11 computer.
Update Windows 11
Installing the latest windows updates or keep your Windows 11 PC up to date let you avoid some bugs and glitches that may present on your device and that might cause your computer lag. That’s why it’s important to download and install the latest windows updates regularly.
- Press Windows key + X and select settings,
- Go to the windows update section and check if any pending updates there for download, click on the download and install button
- Otherwise hit the check for updates button to allow the download and install windows updates from the Microsoft server.
- If the checking result is updates are available, the system will automatically download and install it for you.
- Or if the checking result is You’re up to date, then you can just close the Setting windows.
you need to restart your computer to apply windows updates.
Device Drivers are the interpreters between a computer and all its devices. If you have faulty, corrupted or outdated drivers installed on your PC you might experience Windows 11 Slow and Lagging Problems. Therefore, it’s essential that you have the latest correct device drivers for your operating system at all times.
- Press Windows key + X and select device manager,
- This will display all installed device driver list on your computer,
- Look at the list, if any driver there is listed with a yellow exclamation mark, If yes you need to update or reinstall that driver,
For example, to update the Graphics driver on windows 11, expand the display adapter section,
- Right-click on the installed graphics driver select update driver,
- Select the option “Search automatically for drivers” and follow the on-screen instructions to allow to download updated driver software from the Microsoft server.
In addition, you can also uninstall the driver from the device manager and download and install the latest driver from the manufacturer’s site.
Upgrade Your Hardware and check for errors
Adding more RAM or Upgrade to SSD storage will speed up your Windows 11 PC in the long run. This is also the last way to speed up Windows 11 that we want to share with you. For example, If you’re currently running 4GB RAM on your PC, then you should consider upgrading to at least 8GB RAM.
In addition, run the DISM command and system file checker utility that helps deal with corrupted system files that help fix Windows 11 performance issues.
- Open command prompt as administrator,
- First, run the DISM command, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to repair the Windows 11 image
- Next run the system file checker utility command sfc /scannow that helps scan for corrupted system files, if found any the utility automatically replaces them with the correct ones.
- Windows 11 Laptop Freezes Randomly? Quick solutions to apply
- How To Fix Temporary Profile Login error on Windows 10
- Fix Application exe has stopped working error on Windows 10
- How to Optimize Windows 10 laptop for gaming and productivity
- Windows 11 update failed to install? Here are quick solutions to fix it