Microsoft regularly releases cumulative updates to improve Windows 10 performance and security, But sometimes things not go well, users report windows 10 extremely slow and unresponsive after update. From launching an application (MS excel, Edge browser) to right-click on the desktop or click on the start menu It’s just very slow even windows take a long time to start. Well the common cause of this problem could be a buggy windows update, system file corrupted even missing, computer infected with virus or malware, outdated drivers and more. Here we have listed a few simple solutions that not only fix slow startup or apps not responding problem but also optimize Windows performance as well.
Post Contents :-
Optimize Windows 10 Performance
Let’s first cover few troubleshooting tips that fixes the problem, then tweak some settings that optimize windows 10 performance.
First of all check for and install windows update, may the latest cumulative update has the bug fix for this problem. it also searches for the latest device drivers, which can also help improve your PC’s performance. Restart your PC and see if it seems to run better.
Perform a full system scan with the latest updated antivirus or antimalware application to make sure Virus or malware infection not consuming the system resources that make Windows 10 slow.
Repair corrupted system files
As discussed before if windows system files corrupted or missing you might experience a different error on Windows 10, System freezes not responding issue. Run the build in system file checker utility that automatically scan and restore missing files with correct one. That not only optimize system performance but also fix various problems on Windows 10.
- On start menu Search box, type “Command Prompt” (no quotes).
- Right-click Command Prompt from the results, then select Run as Administrator.
- If prompted to give permission to the app, click Yes.
- Once Command Prompt is up, type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), then hit Enter.
- The system file checker utility start scan the system for missing corrupted system files if found any it will restore them with correct ones.
Pro tip: If your computer is still slow after the SFC scan, run DISM restore health command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth that help repair system image. Once done restart your computer and check the windows 10 performance.
Disable programs causing startup impact
Many of the programs and services (Mostly third-party service) that run on startup that impacts the windows performance and the reason behind windows 10 slow start or not responding at startup. And Disabling this unnecessary startup apps improve Windows 10 performance.
- Right-click Taskbar and choose Task Manager.
- Go to the Startup tab and sort the processes by their Startup impact rating.
- Then choose to disable the processes in the High category.
- Right-click the process and choose Disable.
Disable background apps
Also disable native universal apps that run in the background even when you haven’t actually launched them.
- Go to settings using keyboard shortcut Windows + I,
- Click Privacy then Background apps.
- Here toggle off let apps run in the background to disable all apps
- Or you can Turn off the toggle switches next to the apps you don’t want to have running all the time.
- Of course, you can still launch these programs manually if you need them.
Manage Power Plans
There are different power plans available in Windows, to manage them open the Control panel and navigate to Hardware and Sound-> Power Options. Here you can select the high-performance power plan.
- It might use up more battery, but it is optimized for better performance.
- Again make sure Fast startup option is enabled:
- Open control panel, search for and select Power Options,
- On the left pane, click “Choose what the power buttons do”
- Next on middle pane click on change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Scroll down at the bottom, click “Turn on fast startup” under Shutdown settings
- Click “Save changes”
Allow windows manage page file
If you have recently tweaked page file (optimized or increased virtual memory) we recommend set it to default and allow Windows to manage the page file size automatically, which can help improve your PC’s performance.
- Press Windows + R, type sysdm.cpl and click ok
- In the Advanced tab, click Settings under the Performance section
- Switch to the Advanced tab, click Change under the Virtual memory section.
- Here checkmark Automatically manage paging file size for all drives
Disable visual effects
Windows 10 comes with lots of animations that are included and enabled by default. These animations take up additional time and in case you want your PC to be ultra-fast you can disable them.
- Search for sysdm.cpl and click enter,
- Click the Advanced tab and click “Settings” in the Performance section.
- That brings you to the Performance Options dialog box.
- You’ll see a varied list of animations and special effects.
- Here you can adjust the visual effects for best performance.
- You can also choose custom settings and then select the animations you want and disable the rest of them.
- This will improve the performance of Windows 10.
Disable Windows Indexing
Windows Search service provides content indexing, property caching, and search results for files, e-mail, and other content. Whenever new files are added to your PC, indexing services are in action. You can make PC faster by disabling the indexing services.
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc
- Scroll down and locate Windows search option
- Right click on Windows search service select properties.
- Here select startup type as disabled.
- This will make Windows search slow, but if you do not search files often, this can actually speed up your PC.
Tweak to Faster shutdown windows 10
In Windows 10, the shutdown process still requires three clicks and a menu. Come on! If you like to shut down your computer after a hard day’s work, then you will realize that the process still requires three clicks. To speed this up you can use a shortcut.
- Simply right-click anywhere on a free part of the desktop then click New > Shortcut.
- In the Location field, type %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0
- Click on the next, give a new to this shortcut for example fast shutdown and click finish.
- The shutdown shortcut will take place on the Desktop, which adds an actual shutdown icon to the desktop.
- Now each time you click on that shortcut, your PC will immediately shut down.
Sometimes the biggest factor slowing down your PC isn’t Windows 10 itself, but bloatware or adware that takes up CPU and system resources. Adware and bloatware are particularly insidious because they may have been installed by your computer’s manufacturer. You’d be amazed at how much more quickly your Windows 10 PC can run if you get rid of it.
- Right-click the Start button
- Click Programs and Features
- Select the unwanted software and click “Uninstall/Change”
Another suggestion to resolve Windows 10 very slow and unresponsive issue is to upgrade the system to a faster SSD.
Did these tips help optimize windows 10 performance? Let us know on the comments below. Read SSD vs HDD Speed and Performance Comparison