With Windows 10 Microsoft Introduced new built-in Web Browser called Microsoft Edge. This is the Default Web Browser in Windows 10 operating system and much faster and user-friendly compared to previous Internet Explorer. Overall its one of the best browser after Google chrome, But some of users report Microsoft Edge Can’t be opened using the built-in Administrator Account. This is because of a security feature which restricts browsing for highly privileged accounts like the Local Administrator which is a built-in admin account. If you try to do it, you will receive the following message:
This app can’t open.
Microsoft Edge can’t be opened using the Built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again.
Microsoft Edge can’t be opened using Built-in Admin
As the application executed in the Built-in account are automatically given elevated rights, the apps are blocked for use to prevent them from harming the operating system. As the Microsoft Edge was added in Window’s 10 as an app, it is now affected in Windows 10 too by this feature. If you still want to use Edge browser on Administrator account here apply bellow solutions.
The simple fix to get rid of this warning message is to change the local security policies to allow to run under the built-in Administrator’s account.
For Windows 10 Home users
If you are using windows 10 Home basic then you don’t have Group policy Feature to change local policy and fix Microsoft Edge can’t be opened using Built-in Administrator error. In this cause, you can tweak some registry entry by the following below to fix this error.
- First press Windows + R, type regedit and hit the enter key.
- This will open windows registry editor, Now Navigate to the following registry key.
- Make sure to highlight System in the left pane and then find FilterAdministratorToken in the right pane.
Note : If you can’t find one then right-click on an empty area in the right pane and select New > DWORD (32 Bit) Value And Name the new key as FilterAdministratorToken.
- Now if you had already found the above key or you just created it,
- Just double click the key, Under Value Data, Type 1 and Click OK.
- Again Now navigate to the following registry key:
- Make sure UIPI is highlighted than in right pane double click the default key.
- Now under Value Data type 0x00000001(1) and Click OK. Close the Registry Editor.
Change UAC setting
- Open Control Panel > User Accounts.
- Select Change User Account Control settings.
- Now In the User Account Control Settings window move the slider to the Second level from the top
- which is “Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer.
Click Ok then close everything and Reboot your PC to save changes. This would Fix Microsoft Edge Can’t be opened using the built-in Administrator Account problem in Windows 10 Home users.
For Other Windows 10 Editions
If you are windows 10 Pro User then this method is applicable to you. In this method, the above done changes will be made in the Local Security Policy instead of the Windows registry. Local Security Policy is unavailable in Windows 10 Home so the Registry method was used above.
- First open Local Security Policy by press Win + R, Then type secpol.msc and hit enter key.
- Now on the left pane, Navigate to Security Settings > Local Policies >Security Options.
- With Security Options selected on the left pane, Locate User Account Control Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account on the right pane.
- Double Click it to open its properties.
- Here Select Enabled in the Local Security Setting tab and Click Ok.
The explanation of this policy is as follows:
This policy setting controls the behavior of Admin Approval Mode for the built-in Administrator account. The options are (1) Enabled: The built-in Administrator account uses Admin Approval Mode. By default, any operation that requires elevation of privilege will prompt the user to approve the operation. (2) Disabled: (Default) The built-in Administrator account runs all applications with full administrative privilege.
Now Restart your computer to take effect the changes you made the check of Microsoft Edge opens.