As Microsoft Released its seventh major update to Windows 10 As May 2019 update with a number of new features such as new Light theme, Windows Sandbox, Cortana and Search as two separate features But as like previously this update also brings some new bugs. Some of the users report installing windows 10 version 1903 “internal Microphone not working on their laptop ”
Post Contents :-
Mic Stopped working after the Windows update
There are various reason that causes “Microphone Stopped working on your Laptop” some of the very commonly reported reasons are incorrect settings, broken or obsolete drivers or some hardware issues. Whatever the reason here some solutions you may apply to fix If your built-in Microphone or Skype Audio is not working in Windows 10/8/7.
With Windows 10 version 1903 (May 2019 update), Microsoft changed the behavior of the microphone app access setting so that it affects desktop applications as well. If the problem started after the recent windows 10 version 1803 upgrade then you must first follow the steps below to get back the microphone working back.
Allow apps to access your microphone
- Simply Open Settings (press Windows + I)
- Then click on Privacy to access all your privacy settings.
- Select Microphone and switch on the “Allow apps to access your microphone” toggle.
- Also, make sure microphone access for this device is on, or you can turn on by click on the change button as show image below.
Finally, in the app list, make sure to turn on microphone access for every app you want to give permission to access your microphone.
This is a very useful solution recommended by users on Microsoft forum, Reddit as applying this microphone started working.
Run windows Audio Troubleshooter
Run the windows audio troubleshooter from settings -> update & security -> troubleshooting -> click on playing audio and run the troubleshooter as shown image below. This will check and fix if any problem causing to stop windows sounds.
Adjust the Microphone Setting
- Go to the audio icon in your taskbar, right-click and select Recording devices.
- Select the microphone and double-tap to open the properties.
- Here you can adjust the levels and adjustments like Noise Cancellation, DC Offset Cancellation, Echo Cancellation and more.
- Disabling all the sound effects also fixes the Microphone issues sometimes.
- Under the Advanced tab, disable the check box Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.
Set microphone As Default Device
Right-click the speaker icon in the System Tray and select Sounds. Go to the Playback tab, and make sure your default device is set. If all the listed devices are disabled, enable them and then set a default device. Repeat these steps for the Recording tab. If it isn’t present run the Hardware troubleshooter at Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot
Restart Windows Audio Service
Some minor issues in your Windows Audio Service can also be the reason for microphone bugs and restart it is the best possible fix.
- Open Run command and type services.msc.
- This will open the entire list of Windows Services on your PC.
Here check Windows audio and AudioEndpointbuildert service is running. If not start the service and change its startup type automatic. Also If the service is already running state simply right-click on it and select restart.
Update/reinstall the Audio driver
This is one of the most common reasons of any malfunctioning in a PC. Your Microphone won’t work properly if the drivers are broken or outdated. especially the problem started after the recent windows upgrade there is a chance, the audio driver is not compatible with the current windows version or its corrupted during the upgrade process. So you need to install or update your device driver.
- Run Device Manager (devmgmt.msc ) and expand “Sound, video and game controllers”.
- Right Click on the installed Audio driver “Realtek High Definition Audio”
- Select Update Driver. Click on Search automatically for updated driver software and follow on screen instructions to let windows check and install the latest available audio driver.
Also, you can visit the device manufacturer website to download the latest available Audio driver version for your system. Then again open device manager, expand “Sound, video and game controllers”. right-click on the installed audio driver and select uninstall, restart windows.
Now on the next login install the latest Audio driver and check Windows Audio And Microphone Started working.
Did applying these solutions help to fix ” Audio or Microphone not working after Windows 10 update 2018″? Let us know which option worked for you, Also Read