Did you notice Windows 11 takes longer than usual time to shut down or start your PC or laptop? you are not alone, a number of users report, Windows 11 Stuck on Shutting down Screen after the windows update. There are several reasons why Windows 11 Laptop won’t shut down or get stuck on shutting down screen. But the common one is the Fast Startup feature, which allows the computer to start up quickly from a hibernation state. Incorrect power plan settings, corrupted system files, third party app also running background and prevent windows 11 shutdown properly.
Issue: Windows 11 won’t shut down
Windows won’t shut down or sleep properly, when I press shutdown it goes to the teal screen and says shutting down, then the screen and everything goes black, but the computer itself is still on and running and I have to do a hard shut off by holding down the power button, it does the exact same thing when I try putting it in sleep mode as well.
Post Contents :-
Windows 11 Won’t Shut Down
First of all, be patient and wait a few more minutes, Check the windows shut down properly. Try force shutdown windows by pressing and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds till the power goes down completely. Then wait for some time, then restart your PC to see if you’re able to shut down your PC successfully again.
Ensure that your PC is up to date with Windows Updates and there are no pending updates that may prevent windows from shutting down. You can check and install pending windows updates following steps below.
- Press Windows key + I to open the settings
- Go to Windows Update and check for any available updates.
- If new updates are available click the download button to install them and restart your PC to see if it cures the issue.
Clean boot windows 11
A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts.
Start windows to clean boot state (where windows start with basic windows services and startup programs) To check and make sure any third-party app not preventing windows 11 shutdown.
- Press Windows key + R, type msconfig and click ok to open the System Configuration window,
- Switch to the Services tab, and select Hide all Microsoft Services and click on Disable all
- Go to the Start tab and select Open Task Manager, here one by one, disable each app under the Startup tab
- Go back to the Startup tab in System Configuration and select OK.
- It will prompt to restart your PC, do it and your computer start in a clean boot environment.
After Perform clean boot shutdown windows and check if windows shutdown normally then there must be a third-party service/ application causing the issue.
Run Power Troubleshooter
Windows 11 has built-in troubleshooting tools that automatically detect and fix different problems and power troubleshooter is one of them. Let’s run the Power troubleshooter and let Windows detect and fix issues hindering the shutdown process.
- Press Windows key + I to open the settings app,
- Go to the system then troubleshoot and click on other troubleshooters,
- This will display all available troubleshooters list, locate the power option select it and click on run
- This will check and fix if any incorrect power configuration causing/preventing windows 11 shutdown properly.
Also from there run the Windows update troubleshooter which checks and fix if any recent windows update Bug preventing windows shutdown properly.
Next Run the Hardware & Device troubleshooter to check and make sure any newly installed hardware device not causing windows 11 shutdown properly.
After running these windows troubleshooters restart your PC to see if you’re able to shut down your PC successfully again.
Disable Fast Startup
Fast startup was first introduced in Windows 8. Now, This is one of the core features of Microsoft Windows which is helpful to boot even faster. But, This cool feature can be a reason for shutdown problems for some older PC or laptops. So, When you face any shutdown issue in windows 10 or 11, it’s recommended to turn off the fast startup feature temporarily.
- Press Windows key + R, type powercfg.cpl and click ok
- Now, Click on Choose what power buttons do.
- Then, Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Now, Uncheck Turn on fast startup (Recommended).
- Save the settings and restart your computer.
- Check, If it fixes windows won’t shut down properly problem.
Configure on Intel Management Engine Interface
- Press windows key + X and select device manager,
- Expand the System devices entry.
- Navigate and double-click the Intel Management Engine Interface.
- Choose the Power Management tab (if there is such a tab).
- Uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
If you are using a desktop computer may you don’t have the Power Management tab, skip this step and follow the next solution “Update IMEI driver”
Update IMEI Driver
- Again open Device manager Expand System devices entry.
- Navigate and double-click the Intel Management Engine Interface.
- Go to the Driver tab of the Intel Management Engine Interface.
- Click the Update Driver button.
In case you have downloaded the driver file from the official website then you can choose the browse my computer for driver software option.
Follow the instructions that display on the screen and update the IMEI driver to the latest version, compatible with Windows 11.
Fix Corrupted System Files
Windows shutdown problems also can be a result of corrupted or missing system files. Running SFC utility and DISM commands can repair these system files issues. This is another working way to fix windows that won’t shut down properly issue.
- Open command as administrator,
- First run DISM command dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Next run system file checker utility sfc /scannow
- The first command service the system image and the second command scan for corrupted system files if found any the sfc command replace them with correct one.
- Once done reboot your PC and check the windows laptop start and shutdown status.
Restore power plan default settings
Still need help, we suggest you to restore default settings of power plan and check if it helps.
- Open Control Panel.
- Click on the Power Options icon.
- Click on Change plan settings next to select power plan
- Next Select the option “Restore default settings for this plan”.
Perform System restore
If all these solutions failed to fix the issue and still “Windows 11 Won’t Shut Down or Sleep” Then it’s time to use the system restore feature, which reverts windows to the previous working state where windows perform smoothly. And as most of the users report performing system restore helps them to resolve Windows Startup And Shutdown problems. check How To perform system restore on windows 11.
Did these solutions help to fix Windows 11 Startup and Shutdown problems such As “Windows 11 won’t shut down or sleep“?