Windows 11 Laptop Freezes Randomly? Quick solutions to apply
Windows 11 Laptop freezes randomly on startup or after login or even after install windows update? Or sometimes you may experience, on your PC/Laptop suddenly everything freezes, no error notification or blue screen error only windows 11 freezes and you will get the unresponsive OS. It’s really very painful situation for all computer users and its very important to identify why windows 11 randomly freezes and how to fix Computer Randomly Freezes problem in Windows 11/10.
Post Contents :-
- 1 Why does windows 11 slow or Freezes Randomly?
- 2 What to do when Windows 11 crashes or freezes randomly
Why does windows 11 slow or Freezes Randomly?
So Why does my computer randomly freeze Windows 11? Well, windows 11 laptop freezes or crashes randomly or running slow issue is usually related to lack of maintenance or unexpected issues. Virus malware infection, outdated windows system or device driver, corrupted system files or hard disk errors are some common reasons behind windows 11 laptop slow performance.
What to do when Windows 11 crashes or freezes randomly
If you are experiencing Windows 11 slow performance or the system freezes randomly don’t worry, here we have a few effective solutions apply the fix the problem.
Before moving on to the solutions, it is suggested to make the common adjustments:
- First, disconnect all external devices leaving the mouse and keyboard.
- Uninstall newly or recently installed apps and software
- Delete apps, files, or data that are not needed.
- Restart your computer that refreshes the operating system and clear temporary glitches that may present there and cause windows 11 to slow.
Run a virus scan
Most of the time Viruses or malware infections are the common reason behind windows 11 PC random freezing, errors and crashes. So it is very important to keep your Windows 11 laptop virus free.
We recommend perform a full system scan with the latest updated antivirus or antimalware application. How you run a virus scan totally depends on the antivirus program you use, but in general, you can choose the C: drive or the other drive that you suspect has a malicious program or virus and simply click the button to start the scan.
Uninstall programs that are not in use
When we buy a new computer or laptop, it is full of unwanted programs and some of them are running in the background which consumes memory. So it is very important to remove the unused program and to remove the unwanted programs just follow the steps below:
- Press Windows key + X and select the Apps and features option,
- Locate the app, click on the 3 vertical dots and select Uninstall. and follow on-screen instructions to remove the app from your PC.
Also, you can uninstall any program from the control panel as well. To do so go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features.
Run System File Checker
Sometimes, when Windows 11/10 randomly freeze and hang, it is because the system files have been corrupted. Corrupted or missing Windows system files cause Windows 11 to freeze randomly. And running the build in system file checker utility help fix such problems and make your computer work better.
- Press Windows key + S type cmd, right click on command prompt select run as administrator,
- Type command sfc /scannow and press the enter key on the keyboard,
- Now Windows scans your system for damaged system files and tries to replace them with correct ones.
And after the completion of the scan, reboot your system and check if the computer keeps freezing problem is solved.
Close apps that are not in use
Instead of minimizing programs that aren’t in use, simply close them. Don’t worry about the page disappearing if you really need that page, just bookmark the page in a web browser or save the process if you’re using Mozilla Firefox to save the page.
Save what you need and close unwanted windows quickly before you decide to open them.
- In addition press, the windows key + R, type temp and hit the enter key,
- This will invoke Windows Explorer with your Temp folder
- Select all the files in the Temp folder and delete them.
Run a memory check
Also, you can run the windows memory diagnostic tool to fix PC freezing issue. This scans and detects the memory issues on your Windows 11 system.
Follow the steps to do it:
- Press Windows key + R, type mdsched.exe and click ok to open the windows memory diagnostic tool,
- Click the option “Restart now and check for problems (recommended)” to check for problems.
- However, if you want to check later, click “Check for problems the next time I start my computer.”
- Windows will then reboot and a page will appear showing the progress of the check and the number of passes running on memory.
However, if no errors appear, the memory card is not the problem.
Update your device drivers
Hardware or driver incompatibility is also an issue that makes windows 11 PC slow or freezes. And updating the drivers to the latest version not only optimizes the system performance but also helps fix such situations on windows 11.
An outdated driver might be the reason behind your computer freezes randomly in WIndows 11 system.
Here follow the steps to update them:
To update drivers, go to the manufacturer’s website or Microsoft’s official website and check for the latest driver-related updates.
Or follow the steps:
- Press Windows key + X and select device manager,
- Now expand the categories to locate the name of your devices
- And right-click on it > choose “Update Driver Software…”
- Now, in the pop-up window, select “Search automatically for updated driver software” (make sure you have an active internet connection)
- Repeat the same process to update the drivers.
However, if you are not technically advanced and want to make the whole process easier, use third party driver optimizer to automatically update all drivers.
Now check if the Windows 11 random freezing issue is resolved; otherwise, try the next solution.
Defrag hard drive
Skip this if you have SSD installed on your PC or Laptop. Defragmenting your hard drive is really important as you are likely to experience faster speeds and less loading time.
Microsoft Defrag is a software utility capable of organizing and optimizing the files on the hard drive to improve system performance.
- Press Windows key + S, type DISK DEFRAGMENTER and hit the enter key,
- Select the hard drive you want to optimize (for example C:) and click Analyze.
- Click the “Optimize” button to start defragmenting your hard disk drive.
Note: If the fragmentation is less than 10%, you don’t need to optimize the drive, because It is not advisable to defragment the hard disk drive rapidly.
Well, the whole process can take a few hours or several minutes as it depends on the size and amount of fragmentation of the hard drive.
You can use the system during the defragmentation process. Hope checking your hard drive will help you to fix Windows 11 randomly freezes issue.
Also you can Download third party utility Defraggler to defrag your hard drive or files and run your PC faster
Clean your registry
It is very important to clean your registry to keep your computer optimized. Find a registry cleaner so you can clean it manually. But if you are not comfortable changing vital system settings, you can use any third-party tool.
Get CCleaner to clean your registry keys easily
Increase more RAM
Sometimes insufficient RAM leads to system issues like freezing, crashing and crashing. Well, the 3D apps and games installed on the devices make the system bulky and cause the computer to freeze on Windows 11.
If the Windows 11 system freezes on a regular interval of time, then this may be your RAM causing the problem.
Also, the motherboard, CPU, or power supply may not be working properly. And in that case, upgrading RAM will help you to fix Windows 11 PC/Laptop freezing.
In addition, Adjust Virtual Memory by following the steps below:
- Press Windows key + R, type sysdm.cpl and click ok to open system properties,
- Move to the “Advanced” tab and click “Settings” under performance section,
- Again Go to the “Advanced” tab again and choose “Change…” under the Virtual memory section.
Now uncheck the option “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives” Then select the partition that has Windows installed (usually, it is C:) and enter an Initial size and Maximum size for your virtual memory:
- Initial size: This value varies on different computers. If you’re not sure what value to use, just enter the recommended size.
- Maximum size: Don’t set this value too high. It is recommended to enter 1.5 times the size of your physical RAM.
Once you’ve configured your virtual memory values, click “Set” and then “OK” to continue.
Restart your PC and check if the windows 11 freezes issue is resolved.
Flash your SSD
Well, if you installed Windows 11 on your SSD, then you may experience random freezing on your machine due to older firmware. And that is why Windows 11 randomly crashes. Many users reported that after installing newer firmware on their SSD PC keeps freezing problem is solved.
But you should be very careful when updating the firmware unless doing so can cause permanent damage to your system.
Update BIOS settings
To fix random freezing in Windows 11, you can update your BIOS. Well, this is quite tricky as a minor mistake while modifying BIOS settings can cause serious issues.
Therefore, be careful when resetting BIOS settings to default.
And to perform a BIOS update, visit the motherboard manufacturer’s website and download the latest version of the BIOS.
So, these are the few most common ways to fix Windows 11 computer random freezing issues. Try the provided alternative manual solutions to resolve the random computer freezing issue.
- Should I upgrade to Windows 11 now? (we have answered)
- Windows 11 Overview What’s New! Features and improvements
- Windows 11 Minimum system requirements – check if your PC can run it
- How to Upgrade or Download Windows 11 (Official ways)
- 7 tips to Optimize windows 11 performance (Boot faster)
- Windows 11 update failed to install? Here are quick solutions to fix it