Did Windows 10 Unable to connect to the internet or facing limited internet connectivity problems? And running the network diagnostic tool results DHCP is not enabled for “WiFi” or DHCP is not enabled for “Wireless Network Connection”? This is because Your PC Network configuration or NIC (Network interface card) is not enabled to obtain IP address automatically from DHCP server. If you are struggling from this problem here How to enable DHCP for WiFi or Local area network on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7.
Post Contents :-
What is DHCP?
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a network protocol controlled by a DHCP server that dynamically distributes network configuration parameters, such as IP addresses, to all DHCP-enabled clients. And reduce the need for a network administrator to configure these settings manually.
DHCP is not enabled for Wi-Fi in Windows
- Before apply solutions below we recommend restart the router and your PC, fix the problem if temporary glitch causing the issue.
- Disable Antivirus software and VPN (if configured)
- Perform a clean boot to determine if any third party service conflict causing the problem.
Enable DHCP for Ethernet or Wi-Fi
- Press Windows + R, type ncpa.cpl and ok to open network connections window.
- If you are using an Ethernet connection, right-click the option and select ‘Properties’
- If you have Wireless connection, choose Wi-Fi adapter and follow the same step as mentioned above.
- Here under Ethernet/Wi-Fi Properties window, find and double-click the ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’
- And select radio button Obtain an IP address automatically – upper part of ‘General Screen.’
- Obtain DNS server address automatically lower part of the ‘General Screen.’ (See screen shot below)
- Click ok to save changes.
- Now Windows 10 will be able to retrieve the IP address from the DHCP server.
- You can check and confirm the same using command ipconfig / all
- Also check the Network & Internet connection working state.
Check DHCP client service running
DHCP client service helps to register the IP address and update DNS records for your computer. If this service stuck or not starred you may face DHCP is not enabled for wifi/Ethernet on windows 10.
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and ok to open the services console
- Scroll down and look for DHCP client service
- Right click on DHCP client service select restart,
- Also check and make sure DHCP client service startup type is set to automatic.
- Restart your Windows and try to access the Internet again to see if it works.
- Press Windows Key + R then type “inetcpl.cpl” and hit enter to open Internet Properties.
- Go to Connections tab and select LAN settings.
- Here Uncheck Use a Proxy Server for your LAN and make sure “Automatically detect settings” is checked.
- Click Ok then Apply and reboot your PC.
- Now check There is no problem with Network & internet connection.
Reset Winsock and TCP/IP
If none above solutions work for you, then reset TCP/IP configuration to default settings most probably fix the problem.
Open the command prompt as administrator, and perform command below one by one.
- netsh winsock reset
- netsh int ipv4 reset
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- ipconfig /flushDNS
Restart Windows to take effect the changes, and check There is no more problem with Windows 10 Internet or network connection.
Reinstall Network Adapter Driver
Sometimes due to outdated, incompatible driver software for network adapter cause different problems include NIC fails to get an IP address from the DHCP server. Update or reinstall the driver software for network adapter help to get rid of this issue.
- Press Windows + x select device manager,
- expand network adapter,
- Right click installed driver for wireless adapter select uninstall
- click yes when ask for confirmation and restart windows.
- On next start windows automatically install the network adapter on your PC
- Otherwise, visit device manufacturer to download and install the latest driver for the network adapter
- Restart Windows after completing the process and check if the problem fixed.
Did these solutions help to fix DHCP is not enabled for wifi in windows 10? Let us know on comments below,